Our third and final installment for themed recipes this Twilight Zone weekend is called "Third Bun from the Sun", burgers inspired by the Twilight Zone episode "Third from the Sun", which originally aired in 1960. Below I embedded the full episode, so you should definitely watch it if you haven't already--possibly one of my favorite twists that totally got me growing up.
Third Bun From The Sun
UFO Shaped Burgers
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef, 20% fat
- coarse ground sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon worcester sauce
- four mini buns
- condiments (I suggest anything that compliments the UFO look here. Big round slices of tomato, sliced rings of red onions., etc. I wouldn't even use cheese unless it round.)
WHAT YOU DO:
- Wet hands with cold water and mix together ground beef, worcester sauce, and a touch of salt and pepper.
- Separate the meat into four patties, making sure their flat and even enough to hold together and sit atop a small bun. Place patties into the fridge to chill. Preheat oven to 375 degrees while you wait.
- Once heated, place patties onto a lightly greased baking sheet on the top shelf of the oven. Cook for 3 minutes on each side and then switch the oven's setting to broil and cook for another two. Remove from oven but leave the broiler on.
- Slice the four buns in half and lightly brush with a little oil or butter. Place on a baking sheet face up and put in oven under broiler for a minute or two (be sure to watch 'em though, unless you want them extra crispy).
- Assemble your burgers how you like. I even put a little plastic cocktail skewer on top to make it more UFO-y. Enjoy!