The fifth season of Game of Thrones premieres this Sunday, April 12th. I don't know about you, but I am beyond excited. I literally had to try and block the series from my mind after I finished season four, simply to be able to go about my life, and I was pretty successful until the new trailers were released. Now I can't wait!
I wanted to do something for Too Into It themed around Game of Thrones, but never could quite decide what to do. Because of the insane popularity of the series, it seems that everything has been done already. Kitschy crafts, lavish parties, canon recipes (there is an official cookbook for Hordor's sake). So I decided to do something a little more simple, for those with, well, not so much of a Lannister budget.
Game of Thrones Themed Feast for Two (for under $15)
From the store:
These are the things you will likely have to purchase (if you have some already, awesome! Your end cost may be less than mine!)
- Two turkey legs ($4.99)
- Beef smoked sausage ($2.99)
- Sourdough loaf ($1.19)
- Pear ($.80)
- Green beans ($1.99 frozen)
- Red wine ($.299)
Total cost: $14.95
From the kitchen:
(These things you probably will already have at home. If not, you can alter the spices a bit and pick up the rest for fairly cheap.)
- Minced garlic
- Rock salt
- Few slices of cheese
- Black pepper
- Lemon pepper
- Lemon juice
- Butter (or olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse raw turkey legs and pat dry.
- Rub legs in plenty of butter (or oil), salt, pepper, and minced garlic, making sure to get some under the skin.
- Grease a shallow baking dish and place turkey legs inside so that they may both lay flat.
- Roast for 20 minutes, flip and season more if desired.
- Leave for 20 minutes more and check. Internal temperature should each 170 degrees. Cook for longer if necessary.
- Two get the skin a little crispy, you can turn on your broiler and throw them in there for a bit too. Tasty!
Smoked Beef Sausage
- Turn on broiler on oven.
- Fill broiling pan with a little water. Cover and place sausage link on top.
- Broil for about 20 minutes, checking occasionally and flipping when necessary.
Grilled Green Beans and Garlic
- Steam frozen green beans on stove with a steamer and a little bit of water (alternatively, use one of those microwaveable steam in the bags).
- Drain and put in skillet on low heat, toss in butter (or oil), with lemon pepper, salt, lemon juice, and minced garlic.
- Saute until your liking.
Fruit and Cheese Plate
- Cut slices of cheese into smaller bits, preferably with a bit of a variety (I used colby jack, swiss, and pepper jack).
- Slice pear onto slices.
- Arrange on plate or platter.
Guest Right (Bread and Salt)
"...an ancient and sacred tradition in Westeros. When a guest, be he common born or noble, eats the food and drinks the drink off a host's table beneath the host's roof, the guest right is invoked. Once invoked, neither the guest can harm his host nor the host harm his guest for the length of the guest's stay."
- Game of Thrones Wikia
- Warm sourdough load in oven to your liking.
- Serve with rock salt.