#COMMUNITY LIVES ON
Tuesday, March 17th is the anticipated sixth season PREMIERE of Community on Yahoo! Screen. As hardcore fans of the show, we thought it would be fun to host a Community Themed Party and share with you how we did it. Below you'll see food and drink ideas, decoration and party favor suggestions, the drinking game we played and playlist ideas.
Food & Drink
first seen in season 3, episode 10 "Regional Holiday Music"
Abed's meal of choice. His favorite brand is Papa Penne's but we can make our own. Cook one pound of egg noodles following directions on package. Once drained, toss noodles in a skillet with a stick of butter, lemon juice, garlic salt, and lemon pepper. Serve with chopsticks.
Greendale Cafeteria Chicken Fingers
seen in season 1, episode 21 "Contemporary American Poultry"
Slice chicken breasts into strips and pat dry. One by one, roll them in all purpose flour, then dip them in beat egg, then roll them in breadcrumbs seasoned with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Fry in an inch of oil until lightly brown.
(Tip: soak up excess grease once fried by placing on paper towels. Prepare in advance and store in the oven at a very low temperature before serving to retain heat.)
LET'S POTATO CHIPS
first seen season 1, episode 14 "Interpretive Dance"
Print out a photo of the "Lets" potato chip logo seen on the show. Use double sided tape to fasten the logo onto the chips of your choosing (Tip: pay attention to size! The label I printed out was unable to cover a standard Lays label, but it did cover the "Wavy" type of Lays, which has a smaller Label.)
seen in season 2, episode 12 "Asian Population Studies"
It's a fun time snack! I just bought a bag of Popcorn Indiana kettlecorn because it's delicious. Bonus points if you make it yourself and serve it in trash bag.
first seen in season 3, episode 22 "Introduction to Finality"
Prepare a couple of different hoagie rolls with different types of meats and cheese: I used roast beef and cheddar, ham and swiss, and provolone and turkey with lettuce and tomato.
(If there are any Brittas coming to your party, be sure to offer a vegetarian option--avocado is a good on the spot meat substitute).
Slice into small portions and stick with a toothpick. Serve with condiments on the side.
seen in season 3, episode 3 "Introduction to Finality"
They taste just like regular pies!
I just happened to find these at the store and they were actually pretty good. Invoke your inner Shirley and bake your own!
Caesar Salad Bar
seen in season 2, episode 21 "Paradigms of Human Memory"
Deanie, Vidi, Vici! Chop up romaine lettuce, rinse and drain, and place in serving bowl. Add cherry tomatoes if desired. Serve with a bowl of shaved parmesan, croutons, and caesar dressing.
Seven and Seven
seen in season 2, episode 10 "Mixology Certification"
Jeff may call it a "High School drink for girls", but in honor of Troy's belated 21st birthday, we drank seven and sevens, made with seagrams seven crown and 7 up.
other options include the highly FLAMMABLE Serbian Rum or No No Juice (red wine).
- Opening Theme Fortune Tellers: When I was younger we called these Cootie Catchers but I guess everybody calls them Fortune Tellers, haha. You can find tons of these online, just type "community fortune tellers" into pinterest and print your own!
- Darkest Timeline Evil Doppelganger Beards: It's moments like these when I realize why non fans of the show think we're so weird. I free drew mine onto adhesive felt from looking at a photo online.
- Starburns: Exact same as the beards but for some reason I really cant draw stars.
- Purple Pens: Duh.
- Candy Cigarettes: YOU CAN FIND THESE ONLINE! I wasn't able get mine in time for the party but they are available online and a nice touch I wish I would've been able to add.
- Blue Streamers/ Greendale Flags: Some full page flags and a bunch of little ones I stuck in the food.
- Fan Art/ Promotional Art: I hung up these promotional "Greendale ads" from hulu. These awesome "Pillows and Blankets" inspired posters from Vulture. There are so many options! Hang these on your walls, set them places, even hang up bulletin boards and stick them there!
- Bowl of olives near the toilet: "It's a fancy party, Britta."
There are a lot of really great games online that I saw for Community, but I always think its more fun to make it up yourself because you're going to be looking for things YOU think are funny, long running jokes YOU find great, etc. Here is what we did:
- Celebrity Rhyme Gag (ex. "Well well well, Harvey Keitel" "You're on your own, Al Capone" "No sweat, Boba Fett")
- Triple suggestions (ex. "Three hour lunch? Three hour lunch? Three hour lunch?" "Intervention? Intervention? Intervention?")
- Classic Wringer Speech.
- "That's nice"/"That's not nice".
- Britta Britta's a pop culture reference (ex. "Hit me with your genie's bottle")
- Pierce is racist/sexist/homophobic/etc.
- Annie's insulted scoff.
- Troy has an eye opening epiphany.
- "Cool cool cool"
- Dean pun.
- Chang pun.
- The Dean is see in costume.
I created a playlist on iTunes that included:
- Official Community Soundtrack
- The Police- Roxanne
- Sara Bareilles - Gravity
- ABBA- Fernando
- Childish Gambino
- Michael Haggins - Daybreak
- Toto - Africa
- Songs from "Regional Holiday Music"
- Lionel Richie - Hello
- Don't You (Forget About Me)
- Damn I Wish I was Your Lover
- "We're Gonna Finally Be Fine!"
How did you like our Community Party suggestions? Do you have any other ideas? There was so much more we wanted to do and just couldn't get to it all! How will you be celebrating the Sixth Season premiere? Are you a #sixseasonsandamovie purist or do you want the show to go on forever? What other shows should we theme a party around? Let us know in the comments below.