Passover: Apricot Chicken with Pecans
This recipe is something I threw together when I needed to A. find a use for apricot jam after another recipe and B. make a main course recipe for Passover. For some reason, in my family we always cook chicken legs on Pescah, and the sweetness of the jam plus the crunchiness of the pecans really resonate with the holiday for me. Enjoy!
- 2.5-3 lbs. chicken drumsticks, around 9-10 pieces total
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 raw garlic cloves: 4 chopped, 4 whole
- 1/2 raw brown/yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup Braggs liquid aminos (alternate-low sodium soy sauce)
- 3/4 cup apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary plus 2-3 extra whole sprigs
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, split (2 in marinade, 2 for baking)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, extra to taste
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper, extra to taste
- 1/2 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
- Remove chicken from package, wash with a little water, and pat dry.
- Saute chopped garlic and sliced onions in white wine until translucent and liquid has dissolved. Remove from heat and transfer to bowl.
- Whisk in liquid aminos, apricot jam, chopped rosemary, 2 tbsp lemon juice, fine sea salt, coarse black pepper, and 1/2 tablespoon raw honey.
- Set aside half of this mixture, as well as the 4 extra garlic cloves, 2 tbsp lemon juice and rosemary sprigs. Refrigerate.
- Mix remaining marinade with raw chicken pieces in a large ziploc bag. Remove most of the air and squish it around to coat evenly, refrigerate for at least an hour, at most 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9/13 inch casserole dish.
- Using tongs, remove chicken pieces from plastic bag and discard used marinade. Place chicken in the greased casserole dish.
- Drizzle remainder of unused marinade onto chicken, and place garlic cloves and whole rosemary sprigs around chicken pieces.
- Lightly season every pieces with sea salt and pepper, the remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes on the center rack, then remove the foil and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- Remove dish from the oven and cover again for about 10 minutes before serving, sprinkle with pecans.